The entire nation of Wales was touched by the Welsh Revival (1904-1906). It is said that the effects are still felt among some of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of those who participated in the Revival. Over 100,000 came to Christ, pubs were closed, police had little of nothing to do, and sports had difficulty finding enough members to field a team.
The revival started with a few unknown young people, including Evan Roberts, 26 who had worked in coal mines and as a blacksmith before receiving a call into the ministry and had just begun his formal training when the Holy Spirit fell. Here’s a good website about the revival if you want to know more.
What if something like the Welsh revival happened today?—In America…
1. Most churches would not know what to put in their bulletins. After all there really is no order to the services. Usually a couple of hymns are sung, a solo or a testimony from the young folks who came along with Roberts, prayer for an hour or so, then Evan Roberts simply declares that everyone should:
1. Confess all known sin
2. Deal with and get rid of anything ‘doubtful’ in your life
3. Be ready to obey the Holy Spirit instantly
4. Confess Christ publicly
Then the holy Spirit falls on the place and folks are there for hours–no one wanting to leave.
2. Some folks will probably want to know what the heck ‘sin’ is?
3. Some will observe that getting rid of everything ‘doubtful’ sounds rather ‘religious’ and Old Testament—where’s the Grace in that?
4. Some of the ‘mega’ churches with televised multiple services would want Roberts and his crew to limit the revival services to exactly 55 minutes.
5. Liquor stores and bars would try to sue Roberts and churches for the loss of business and revenue.
6. The Police union would demand that the cities keep all their police on the payroll even though there’s little for them to do.
7. Restaurants near the larger churches would be unhappy because noon rush now hits between 2 and 4 and there is no way to plan for it.
8. What if there was a Sunday baseball game and nobody came including some of the best players?—Ditto for Football?
9. What if hardly anyone went to the ‘R’ rated movies anymore? Wonder what Hollywood would say about it–or do?
10. Adult books stores would have a hard time staying open & porno websites would lose their traffic.
11. State lotteries would go bust and Gambling joints would close.
12. Secularists and atheists would declare that revival is bad for the economy and needs to be controlled–the ACLU and liberal judges would agree.
13. The entire nation would be transformed as 3/4 of the people in the USA would come to Christ and change their lifestyle.
…If something like the Welsh revival happened today—In America!